Buttermilk pie is believed to have originated in England. The recipe was brought to the United States by southern settlers. It was predominately made in Texas where they were very resourceful with buttermilk because it was in large abundance and inexpensive. When fruit was not in season, this pie could be made all year round with ingredients from the pantry (sugar, flour, butter, eggs, buttermilk). The traditional recipe for buttermilk pie calls for 2 cups of sugar which, combined with the buttermilk, gives the pie a very sweet and tangy flavor.
In Texas, serving buttermilk pie for dessert is a Thanksgiving tradition. Many people recommend enjoying a slice of buttermilk pie with good strong coffee to cut the pie's sweetness.
Pastry for one 9-inch crust pie
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk, divided
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Prepare pie pastry.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Add beaten eggs and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk; mix well with a whisk.
- Mix in the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 175°C (350°F) and bake approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature registers at least 70°C (160°F) on your cooking thermometer and the top is lightly brown and the center is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate after cooling.
Makes 1 delicious pie.
Share this if you like!
This Invention Makes Gangsters Laugh About Roadblocks
He Wants To Help Suffering People in Africa - By Having Sex
Dogs Smarter Than Men
He Fell 17 Floors From A Skyscraper ... And Survived
You Don't Need Enemies If You Have These Friends
How To Have Your Own Textile Factory At Home
During A Parachute Jump He Faints And Threatens To Smash On Earth
Hopefully His Head Is Not Going To Burst Like A Balloon
Her Head Was Almost Enterely Cut By A Wire And Watch What Happened Then